In 1941 Mr. Dougherty hired pharmacist George B. Park. The pharmacy grew in size and reputation as customers lingered over the soda fountain to visit with friends and neighbors. In 1943, Park joined with a partner who specialized in soda fountains. The partners purchased the pharmacy from Mr. Dougherty, but opted to keep the name for fear it might jeopardize outstanding accounts receivable.
The business continued to expand through '40s and '50s. Joe B. Park, George's son, joined the staff in 1959, after graduating from pharmacy school. In 1967, the business moved to its current location in Preston Royal Village. A new shopping center at the time Preston Royal Village was considered Far North Dallas, 12 miles north into the country.
Over the past two decades Dougherty's has continued to grow by adding state-of-the-art sterile and non-sterile labs, and a full-service home medical equipment department to better serve our customers.
In 2009, Joe B. Park celebrated 50 years of service with Dougherty's . For decades he served as Dougherty's pharmacist-in-charge, continuing his father's legacy. Also in 2009, an outbreak of H1N1 flu created a nationwide shortage of pre-mixed liquid Tamiflu for children. Over the next three months Dougherty's answered the call by compounding more than 1,000 children's Tamiflu prescriptions making the pharmacy one of the few resources in the nation for the critical medication.
While times have changed the pharmacy's focus on the wellbeing of our customers has not. At Dougherty's we continue to improve and employ cutting-edge technology and an extensive selection of products to keep our customers healthy and happy. The same drive that first attracted our customers 85 years ago.