A lifetime of service for Texas families
A beloved Dallas institution for eight decades, Dougherty's has grown to become the area's oldest, largest and most-recognized full-service pharmacy serving customers throughout the Southwest U.S.
Our pharmacy was founded by Bill Dougherty in 1929, at the outset of the Great Depression. At his original Oak Cliff store, Mr. Dougherty set the tone for a customer-oriented pharmacy that truly emphasized a customer's well-being. The small store flourished at its prime location between two retail giants of the day, Safeway and A&P Grocery. The first year Dougherty's was in business, the infamous robbers Bonnie and Clyde attempted to rob the store. They were sent packing by an armed Mr. Dougherty.
In 1941, Mr. Dougherty hired pharmacist George B. Park. The pharmacy grew in size and reputation at a time when customers visited their local pharmacy to linger over the soda fountain and visit with friends and neighbors.
In 1943, Mr. Park teamed up with a partner who specialized in soda fountains. The pair purchased the pharmacy from Mr. Dougherty. The new owners decided not to change the business' name, since that might jeopardize the accounts receivable then outstanding.
The business continued to expand throughout the 1940s and 1950s. In 1959, the pharmacy hired Joe B. Park, Mr. Park's son, who was fresh out of pharmacy school.
In 1967, the Park family moved the business to Preston Royal Village, a new shopping center at the northwest corner of Preston Road and Royal Lane. At the time, this was considered "Far North Dallas," as it was approximately 12 miles north into the "country." Dougherty's quickly began attracting new clientele in this growing area of the city.
Over the last two decades, Dougherty's focused on growing the compounding prescription business to better serve its customers. As the surrounding community continued to grow, Dougherty's expanded the pharmacy team to help customers with home medical equipment needs. Dougherty's continued to add quality people to the pharmacy team year after year to match the growth of the surrounding community and to broaden the breadth and depth of its products and services. Over the years, Dougherty's has evolved from the neighborhood corner drug store to a full service pharmacy providing a myriad of solutions, include cutting edge compounding solutions delivered to customers throughout the U.S.
In 2009, Dougherty's celebrated its 80th Anniversary with a variety of activities designed to say a heartfelt thank you to our valued customers. We wanted them to know that we realize that our success over the eighty years is due to our driving philosophy of building lasting relationships with our customers through personal service which we call "Service from the Heart". Also in 2009, Joe B. Park celebrated 50 years of service with Dougherty's. For decades he has served as pharmacist-in-charge, continuing his father's legacy that extends all the way back to the 1940s. That same year, an outbreak of H1N1 flu created a nationwide shortage of pre-mixed liquid Tamiflu for children. In just 90 days, Dougherty's compounded more than 1,000 children's Tamiflu prescriptions, making the pharmacy one of the only resources for this critical drug in the Southwestern US.
While much has changed over the past 80 years, the pharmacy's original customer centric business model is alive and well. At Dougherty's, we strive to continually improve and employ leading-edge technology, while still embracing the personal, friendly service that first attracted our customers more than 80 years ago. Today, Dougherty's goal is to provide "Service from the Heart" to all of its customers.